WHAT ARE CNAME RECORDS?
CNAME which stands for Canonical Name is a type of DNS entry or resource record that maps one domain name (an alias) to another.
A common use of CNAME is in the setting up of a newly registered domain name and hosting. In this case, the DNS is configured to allow the domain to route or connect to the host server with or without www.
This means that testingforzcomph.com and www.testingforzcomph.com are able to route to the same server without having to point each directly to the server IP.
With CNAME, we can simply create:
a. An A record for testingforzcomph.com pointing to the server IP address (188.8.131.52)
b. And a CNAME record for www.testingforzcomph.com pointing to testingforzcomph.com
Hence, whenever there is a need to update the IP address, we don’t have to apply changes to both records but just one, saving time and other resources.
The steps below will show you how to create or add CNAME records to your DNS, using this record for an example:
1. Sign in to your Z.COM account using your username and password
2. Click on “DNS” from the top navigation bar:
3. Click the “ + Domain” button (a) to add the domain name to the DNS list
4. Enter the domain name (b) whose DNS zone you wish to add the CNAME record and click “Save” (c):
5. Click on the newly added domain (d) from the list to open its DNS record section
6. Click the pencil icon (e) to make the DNS record fields editable:
7. You can now add the CNAME record(s), using the following details after clicking the “+” icon beneath the NS records:
Name: www (This is the name provided in the sample record above)
TTL: 3600 (This is the default Time-to-Live before connection time-out)
Value: ghs.google.com (This is the destination value as given in the sample record)
Here is an example:
8. Feel free to use the “+” icon to add more records and click the “Save” button once you’ve added all your records.
9. You can now relax for about 30 minutes to allow automatic DNS propagation
10. And you are good.
It is important to note that DNS propagation may take up to 48 hours in few cases, if this period is exceeded and the connection is not established, please contact our support team for assistance.